A hot cross bun is a spiced sweet bun made with currants or raisins, marked with a cross on the top and traditionally eaten on Good Friday.
The hot cross buns mark the end of Lent and different parts of the bun have a certain meaning.
The cross represents the crucifixion of Jesus while the spices inside signify the spices that were used to embalm him at his burial.
Just in time for Easter Weekend here is a Belizean Hot Cross Bun recipe for you to try out.
- ½ cup warm water
- 2 eggs
- 4½ cups unsifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 2 packages (2 table spoons) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup seedless raisins
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg yolk
- ¼ cup margarine or butter
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Measure ½ a cup of warm water into a large bowl.
- Stir in 1 teaspoon of sugar and the 2 packages of active dry yeast.
- Let the mixture stand for 10 minutes then stir well.
- While you are waiting the 10 minutes, combine milk and margarine in a saucepan and heat over low heat until the milk is warm and the margarine has melted.
- Stir in 1 cup of sugar and salt.
- Add the liquid to the dissolved yeast.
- Add ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, vanilla, 2 eggs and 1½ cups of flour.
- Beat until smooth.
- Stir in an additional 3½ cups of flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured board and knead until it is smooth and elastic (takes about 10 minutes).
- Place in a greased bowl and cover.
- Let it rise in a warm, draft free place until it has doubled in bulk (takes about 1 hour).
- Punch the dough down then turn out onto the lightly floured board and knead in the raisins.
- Divide the dough into 18 equal pieces.
- Form each piece into a ball and place in 2 well greased 8 inch round cake pans.
- Combine the egg yolk and 2 tablespoons of cold water and brush the buns with the mixture.
- Cover and let it rise in a warm, draft free place until it doubles again.
- Carefully cut a cross on to the top of each bun with a sharp knife.
- Bake in the oven at 375 degrees fahrenheit for about 20 to 25 minutes (may be done sooner so be sure to constantly check on it).
- Remove from the pans and let it cool on wire racks.
- Enjoy some delicious home made Belizean Hot Cross Buns with your friends and family.